Friday, June 13, 2008

RefWorks isn't working. What should I do?

RefWorks like any internet-based resource will occasionally stop working for unclear reasons. Before deciding that something is wrong with RefWorks worldwide, I try clicking on my internet browser's "Refresh" button. If the "Refresh" button doesn't produce a functioning version of RefWorks, I try one of the following maneuvers at a time until I reach a functioning version of Refworks:
  • I try closing all my browser windows and then open a new iteration of the browser.
  • I try using the Internet browser's "Tools" menu to access "Options" or "Internet Options" and then delete all cookies, cached internet files and my internet history.
  • I try using a different internet browser. Since I usually use Internet Explorer, I would try switching to Mozilla Firefox.
  • I restart my computer.

I've rarely encountered a situation when one of the above steps doesn't work.


With Refworks the only other thing I might try is changing the way I access the RefWorks website. Instead of using the link to RefWorks on the Library's homepage, I would try going directly to http://www.refworks.com, using the Log-in button, entering UNMC's group code, and then logging into my account. Going straight to refworks.com can solve a couple of different potential problems. If you are working from outside the campus network, going straight to refworks.com lets you avoid communicating through the Library's proxy server. The proxy server makes your communications look like they're coming from on-campus which improves your access to full-text journal articles, but the proxy server also slows communications, and comes with a time-out function which can prematurely terminate long uploads or downloads. If your problems originate when you try to upload or download a large file, it's definitely worth avoiding the proxy server time-out by accessing RefWorks directly through the www.refworks.com site. When you're on-campus, the way you access RefWorks shouldn't matter. However, there was one instance recently when IP addresses weren't being assigned correctly on campus (the campus uses a non-fixed IP system) and this caused problems with resource access from many campus computers. It's possible that going straight to www.refworks.com might be helpful in that type of situation -- but not certain.

If none of the steps listed above gets you back to a functioning version of RefWorks, call the Library Reference Desk 559-6221 or contact RefWorks technical support. It's possible that RefWorks is experiencing server problems, etc. but, if not, we may be able to help. If you contact us by e-mail, please describe the exact step/s that isn't/aren't working.

No comments: